A gentleman’s guide to wearing a suit / 10 things U should know
Unlike casual wear, a suit is one of the more complicated items of clothing to buy. it is very unlikely that you will pick a suit off the rack that fits like it should. However there are a few things you should know before investing in your next suit. I've also added a few tips to help look your best.
1. When buying a suit, one of the most important things to check is how the shoulders fit.
The shoulder pads should end right at your shoulders. If they stick up or out , it’s not the right size.
2. A collar gap between your jacket’s lapels and your shirt’s collar qualifies as an ill-fitting jacket.
The line of your coat’s neck should follow the line of your shirt collar around your neck. If it doesn’t, it creates a gap.
3. If you slip your hand between your chest and your buttoned jacket, it should feel snug, but with room to move.
4. The top button of a two-button suit — or the middle button of a three-button suit — should fall at or above the navel.
5. Always keep the bottom button of your jacket unbuttoned.
6. Your shirt cuffs should always be about half an inch longer then your jacket
7. Your tie should always be darker than your dress shirt and should reach no lower than the waistband of your trousers, or be slightly shorter.
8. The width of the tie should always be proportional to the width of the lapel.
9. Your pocket square should never match the pattern or texture of your tie.